CDPH Requires Masking for All Public Indoor Settings to Gradual the Unfold of COVID-19 In Response to Growing Case Charges and Hospitalizations
Date: December 13, 2021
With case charges growing 47% since Thanksgiving, the California Division of Public Well being would require common masking to extend safety to people, households, and communities through the holidays.
SACRAMENTO –The California Division of Public Well being (CDPH) continues to watch COVID-19 information so as to shield the well being and well-being of all Californians. Since Thanksgiving, the statewide seven-day common case charge has elevated by nearly half (47%) and hospitalizations have elevated by 14%. In response to the rise in instances and hospitalizations, and to sluggish the unfold of each Delta and the extremely transmissible Omicron variant, CDPH has issued up to date steering to curb the unfold of COVID-19 and its variants.
Starting December 15, CDPH would require masks to be worn in all indoor public settings regardless of vaccine standing by means of January 15, 2022, at which level California will make additional suggestions as wanted in response to the pandemic.
Moreover, CDPH up to date necessities for attending mega occasions, like concert events and sporting occasions. Previous to attending an occasion, attendees will now require both proof of vaccination, a destructive antigen COVID-19 take a look at inside sooner or later of the occasion, or a destructive PCR take a look at inside two days of the occasion.
CDPH additionally issued a brand new journey advisory efficient instantly to advocate that every one vacationers arriving in California take a look at for COVID-19 inside three to 5 days after arrival, no matter their vaccination standing.
“Our collective actions can save lives this vacation season. We’re already seeing a better stage of transmission this winter and it is very important act now to stop overwhelming our busy hospitals so we will present high quality well being care to all Californians. All Californians ought to get vaccinated and obtain their booster. Getting your complete household updated on vaccination is an important motion you’ll be able to take to get by means of the pandemic and to guard your self from severe impacts from the virus and its variants. Testing and masking stay vital instruments in slowing the unfold,” mentioned Dr. Tomás J. Aragón, CDPH Director and State Public Well being Officer. “Beginning Wednesday, California would require masking in all public indoor locations through the vacation season no matter vaccination standing. Attendees of huge occasions might be required to point out both proof of vaccination, a destructive antigen COVID-19 take a look at inside sooner or later of the occasion, or a destructive PCR take a look at inside two days of the occasion. Moreover, California has issued a journey alert to advocate that every one vacationers get examined inside three to 5 days of their arrival in California. Vaccines and these short-term measures will enable pals and households to soundly spend the vacations collectively and can add important layers of safety to maintain individuals secure.”
Statewide COVID-19 Knowledge
As we speak, the California Division of Public Well being(CDPH) launched the newest statistics on COVID-19 and updates on the state’s pandemic response. The freshest information is offered on the state’s COVID-19 information dashboard.
Instances, hospitalizations, and deaths are largely occurring amongst unvaccinated populations. See the information for unvaccinated and vaccinated instances, hospitalizations and deaths.
Unvaccinated individuals had been 7.1 instances extra prone to get COVID-19 (information from November 21, 2021 to November 27, 2021 ).
- Unvaccinated individuals had been 12.5 instances extra prone to be hospitalized with COVID-19 (information from November 14, 2021 to November 20, 2021).
- Unvaccinated individuals had been 13.0 instances extra prone to die from COVID-19 (information from November 7, 2021 to November 13, 2021).
- 61,315,927 whole vaccines administered.
- 77.7% of the eligible inhabitants (5+) has been vaccinated with at the least one dose.
- 210,409 individuals a day are receiving COVID-19 vaccination (common each day dose rely over 7 days).
- California has 4,886,509 confirmed instances so far.
- As we speak’s common case rely is 5,825 (common each day case rely over 7 days).
- The testing positivity charge is 2.2 % (common charge over 7 days).
- There are 3,804 hospitalizations statewide.
- There are 967 ICU sufferers statewide.
- There have been 74,685 COVID-19 deaths because the begin of the pandemic.
- COVID-19 claims the lives of 51 Californians every day (common each day loss of life rely over 7 days).
The current emergence of the Omicron variant emphasizes the significance of getting a vaccine, booster, and taking prevention efforts wanted to guard in opposition to COVID-19. As of December 12, 2021, 24 confirmed instances related to the Omicron variant have been reported to the state. This quantity might be up to date weekly with the opposite variants California is at the moment monitoring on the CDPH Monitoring Variants webpage. For extra details about the Omicron variant, see the Omicron variant truth sheet.
Cease the Unfold: Get Vaccinated for COVID-19
The chance for COVID-19 publicity and an infection continues as a variety of Californians stay unvaccinated. Actual-world proof continues to point out that the vaccine is stopping extreme sickness, hospitalization, and loss of life. With the mix of colder climate protecting individuals indoors, the waning of vaccine and pure immunity, and extra mingling amongst non-household members, public well being officers urge Californians to get vaccinated and boosted as quickly as potential to assist forestall a potential winter surge in COVID-19 instances.
It’s endorsed that each vaccinated grownup 18 years or older ought to get a booster so long as they obtained their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at the least six months in the past or they obtained their Johnson & Johnson vaccine at the least two months in the past.
Vaccination appointments will be made by visiting myturn.ca.gov or calling 1-833-422-4255. The consent of a mum or dad or authorized guardian could also be wanted for these underneath age 18 to obtain a vaccination. Go to Vaccinate All 58 to study extra concerning the secure and efficient vaccines out there for all Californians 5+.
Your Actions Save Lives
Defend your self, household, pals and your group by following these prevention measures:
- Have fun safely: Take commonsense steps this vacation season to guard your self, your loved ones and your group as you have fun the vacation season.
- Improve your masks: Good match and filtration proceed to be the easiest way to get probably the most out of your masks. The greatest masks for stopping COVID-19 embody the N95, KN95 and KF94. If you do not have entry to certainly one of these masks, put on a surgical masks or a surgical masks with a fabric masks on prime. In case you select a cloth masks, go for one with three of extra fabric layers. It doesn’t matter what type of masks you put on, verify the match by avoiding gaps above the nostril or on the edges.
- Get vaccinated for COVID-19 and flu: It is your flip now! It is really helpful for everybody over six months of age to be vaccinated for the flu. For COVID-19, Californians age 5+ are eligible to make appointments or go to a walk-in website for vaccination. You will get your flu and COVID-19 vaccines on the identical day.
- My Vaccine File is a simple technique to present vaccination standing at venues or companies that require proof of vaccination. Go to myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov at this time to get your vaccine document.
- Keep House & Get Examined if Sick: If you’re experiencing signs of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, muscle or physique aches), or consider you’ve gotten been uncovered, get examined, name your well being care supplier, and keep dwelling and away from others. Free, confidential testing is offered statewide. Keep away from shut contact with people who find themselves sick and keep dwelling from work and faculty if you happen to really feel sick.
- Wash fingers with cleaning soap and water for at the least 20 seconds.
- Journey ideas: Delay journey (each home and worldwide) till you might be totally vaccinated. In case you should journey earlier than being totally vaccinated, think about getting examined earlier than and after journey. See the CDC’s full journey steering.
- Keep away from crowded venues or areas when instances are excessive.
- Add your telephone to the struggle: Join COVID-19 publicity notifications from CA Notify.
- Reply the decision or textual content if a contact tracer from the CA COVID Group or your native well being division tries to attach.
- Examine along with your native well being division about native situations. Native well being jurisdictions can implement protocols which are stricter than state steering.
Monitoring COVID-19 in California
Well being Care Staff
- As of December 9, native well being departments have reported 131,821 confirmed constructive instances in well being care staff and 531 deaths statewide.
Testing Turnaround Time
The testing turnaround time dashboard reviews how lengthy California sufferers are ready for COVID-19 take a look at outcomes. In the course of the week of November 28 to December 4, the typical time sufferers waited for take a look at outcomes was 1.0 day. Throughout this identical time interval, 75% of sufferers obtained take a look at ends in sooner or later and 97% obtained them inside two days.
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Youngsters (MIS-C)
As of December 6, there have been 731 instances of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Youngsters (MIS-C) reported statewide. MIS-C is a uncommon inflammatory situation related to COVID-19 that may injury a number of organ methods. MIS-C can require hospitalization and be life threatening.