Agra – An Invigorating Fable from India’s Engrossing Cultural Saga
Bearing testimony to the blend of distinct architectures, traditions and religions, Agra on the bank of River Yamuna flaunts India’s cultural riches with pure elegance. The city’s exceptional identity as the home to Taj Mahal is unarguable and well-acknowledged. However, a lot more is revealed in the form of wondrous monuments, grand festivities, culinary delights, religious harmony and the generous nature of the dwellers. LikeMyTrip.com feels proud to host this fascinating cultural expedition that you would cherish for the entire life.
Having mentions in the great Indian epic Mahabharata as Agrevana, the city witnessed tremendous power struggle between strong dynasties and empires. Ruled by Kabul Shahi Dynasty, it fell into the hands of Ghaznavid Empire in the 11th century and was later annexed by the Rajpur Rulers. By the end of the 15th century, it became a part of Lodi Dynasty who lost it to the Afghans. Agra attained zenith as the capital of Mughal Empire who ruled here for more than 100 years and blessed its canvas with eternal architecture. After the empire’s decline, the city was captured by the Marathas and finally by the British.
Places to Visit
Agra’s claim to fame is the white marble beauty – the iconic Taj Mahal (a World Heritage Site) which rests on the bank of River Yamuna, symbolizing an emperor’s love for his wife. It splendid views during sunrise or on full moon nights are absolutely hypnotic. Some of the other important places to visit on an Agra trip include:
- Mughal Heritage: 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Taj Mahal, Agra Fort and the nearby city of Fatehpur Sikri, along with Itmad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb, Akbar’s Tomb at Sikandra, Chini ka Rauza and more.
- Religious Sites: Balkeshwar Temple, Mankameshwar Temple, Jama Masjid, Gurudwara Guru ka Taal and the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception
- Leisure: Ram Bagh, Mehtab Bagh and Keetham Lake
Agra is the melting pot of Hindu, Muslim and Christian traditions and cultural practices that can be explored while staying with a local family. Some of the most alluring cultural aspects of the city are:
- Festivals like Taj Mahotsav, Kailash Fair, Ram Baraat, Braj Raslila and Id.
- Cuisines like Mughali food (like kebabs and kormas), sweets like petha and gajjak and snacks like dal month.
- Crafts like stone items, inlay work, marble items and leather products.
We introduce our esteemed clients to the highlights of Agra’s amazing culture which is absolutely heart-warming. Plan a customized Agra tour with us today.