h1>Varanasi – Blessed by Shiva, Washed by Ganga and Rich in Cultural Splendor
Lord Shiva founded Kashi which later on became famous as Banaras and Varanasi. Among the world’s oldest continuously inhabited cities, it watches the meandering route of the holy River Ganga which facilitated the growth of civilizations thousands of years ago. The city is holy to Hindus, Jains, Buddhists and Sikhs and was under Muslim rule for more than 3 centuries and hence, it exhibits an outstanding mix of cultural and religious heritage. Likemytrip.com considers Varanasi as the most important destination of Ganges Tour and is your perfect guide to have an unforgettable rendezvous with the city.
Places to Visit
The major attractions of Varanasi revolve around Ganga and consist of ancient temples, like Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Kaal Bhairav Temple and Gauri Matha Temple, and sacred ghats, like Panchganga, Manikarnika, Dasaswamedha and Tulsi Ghat. Melodious chanting, lively aartis (prayers) and religious rituals performed at these sites are simply invigorating.
Other popular tourist spots in Varanasi are Alamagir Mosque, Sankat Mochan Temple, Banaras Hindu University and Bharat Kala Bhavan Museum, Chunar Fort and Ramnagar Fort and Museum.
- Fondly called India’s Cultural and Spiritual Capital, Varanasi has its real essence in its old world charm elaborated by narrow alleys, historical buildings and splendid architectural wealth.
- Ganga is an integral part of city’s history and culture. Watch people performing rituals related to birth and death at its shores. Taking a holy dip in the river is believed to wash one’s sins. The evening aarti performed with thousands of earthen lamps create a magnificent sight.
- Festivals of Deepwalai, Mahashivratri, Ramlila, Ganga Mahotasav and Chhath Pooja witness extravagant celebrations here.
- Banaras silk and Banarasi silk sarees enjoy great reputation across the world. Watch silk weaving or look for handmade silk items and other handicrafts like embroidery, woodwork, ivory work, pink enamel minakari jewelry, brassware and a lot more.
- Music in Varanasi consists of the magical and melodious singing styles like Drupad, Chaturang, Dhamar and Hori. Drupad Music Festival and many such events are worth attending.
- Dum aaloo is among the popular delicacies from Varanasi which is also famous for its chaats and sweets like rabri malai balai. Don’t miss the refreshing drink lassi and chewing Banarasi paan, a mouth freshener with myriad of flavors packed in betel leaves.