Sarnath – Shinning with Buddha’s Enlightenment for Centuries
When Prince Gautama attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya, he traveled to Isipatana in search of his former 5 companions, found them there and delivered his first sermon. Resultantly, the five were enlightened followed by 55 more and then the Sangha (community of the enlightened ones) was formed. The place presently is known as Sarnath, one of the 4 holiest Buddhist pilgrimage sites in the world. Likemytrip.com encourages you to join the Ganges Tour to explore Sarnath, an amazing spiritual hub dotted with Buddhist stupas, viharas, temples and archaeological remains.
Places to Visit
The Deer Park where the episode of Buddha preaching the five ascetics happened is the highlight of Sarnath. It accommodated Dhamek Stupa which stands on the exact spot marking the incident. Ashoka Pillar, which commemorates Emperor Ashoka’s visit to the place, is another highlight. To discover the amazing wealth of Buddhist artifacts, visit Sarnath Archaeological Museum.
Other must-see places include Chaukhandi Stupa, Mulagandhakuti Vihara, Shreyanshnath Jain Temple, Digamber Jain Temple and some marvelous temples contributed by the Buddhist devotees from various countries. These include Thai Temple, Tibetan temple, Japanese Temple, Chinese Temple and many more. Bodhi tree, planted from a sapling of Bodhi Treen in Sri Lanka, which in turn was planted from a sapling of the original Bodhi Tree (under which Buddha was enlightened), is another attraction.
- Various Buddhist structures portray mesmerizing architectures as well as artworks like murals and frescos that are worth exploring.
- The Lion Capital featured on Ashoka’s Pillar has been adopted as India’s National Emblem.
- Circumambulating the stupas and other religious sites in clockwise direction is considered auspicious.
- The place is perfect to practice meditation and get connected with the divine powers.
- Buddhist monks clad in saffron robes can be easily seen chanting and meditating here. It is a great experience to have conversations with them.
LikeMyTrip takes the responsibility to plan rewarding tour to Sarnath in your budget. Call now to discuss your plans.