Somnath – The Symbol of India’s Indestructible Religious Faith
Revered as the foremost among the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva, Somnath Temple at Prabhas Patan in Gujarat stands like a guard to the Indian coast along Arabian Sea. Built in gold by Moon (Soma) God originally, the temple was ransacked by the Muslim invaders several times, but was restored to full glory time and again. A popular pilgrimage destination, Somnath features in many of the Gujarat tours available with Like My Trip.
Places to See
Somnath Temple built in the Chalukya Temple Architecture style is a striking structure which houses the holy Shiva Lingam. It is a treat to watch the temple waking up to fascinating sunrise and glittering on full moon nights. The temple overlooks the vast expanse of Arabian Sea and promises to send the visitors to an unbreakable trance.
The place also hosts the mix of old and new temples like Gita Mandir, Parsurama Temple, Sun Temple, Laxminarayan Temple and Old Somnath Temple. Paanch Pandav Gufa and Triveni Ghat (where three holy rivers Kapila, Hiran and Sarasvati merge) and Balukha Tirtha are other popular sites. The beach near the main temple hosts camel ride and spectacular sunset views.
- Originally a pure gold structure, the temple is believed to have been constructed in silver by the demon king Ravana and in sandalwood by Lord Krishna. Brought to ruins by the Muslim intruders, the temple was reconstructed many times by different Hindu rulers.
- Balukha Tirtha is believed to be the site where Lord Krishna was hit by a hunter with arrow and the former ended his journey on Earth after the incident.
- It is an extremely pleasurable experience to attend the prayers (aarti, held thrice a day) at the temple when the magic is created by religious chanting and music.
- Don’t miss the Light & Sound Show at the temple complex held every evening.
- Mahashivratri and Somnath Mahadev Fair are the popular events held here.
With Like My Trip, you get to enjoy a splendid spiritual journey at Somnath. Call us right now to get the best quote.