The undisputed Errol Spence Jr.-Terence Crawford middleweight title fight is in jeopardy due to a long-running contract dispute, sources told ESPN.

Sources said that if the fight for each show is finalized for Las Vegas, it will not take place on the scheduled date of November 19, but in December or even January.

Spence and Crawford have agreed to terms, with Crawford deciding to get the short end of the financial split, ESPN reported earlier this month. The issue: Crawford wants transparency related to event expenses because there is no guaranteed purse in the contract, the source said.

Because Crawford (38-0, 29 KOs) earns a percentage of net earnings, he wants the ability to approve expenses, sources said. Crawford is a free agent after parting ways with Top Rank, but sources said the proposed deal includes a two-way reciprocation clause.

If the rematch clause is triggered, the winner will receive a large portion of the proceeds for the rematch, the sources said. But if talks of a first fight continue, it’s conceivable that the 35-year-old Crawford would want another fight before facing Spence.

The 147-pound bout is one of the biggest fights in boxing for all four belts. Crawford, ESPN’s No. 1 ranked welterweight, last fought in November, defeating Shawn Porter by TKO in the 10th round to defend his WBO title.

Spence, a 32-year-old from DeSoto, Texas, who is aligned with Al Haymon’s PBC, came back from surgery to repair a detached retina to win a 10-round stoppage over Yordenis Ugas in April and win the WBA belt. to add WBC and WBA titles. Spence (28-0, 22 KOs) was supposed to fight Manny Pacquiao in August 2021, but withdrew due to an eye injury.

It was the second major defeat of Spence’s career after a car accident in October 2019 left him bedridden. He did not fight again until December 2020.



Source link