The third-generation iPhone SE and iPhone 12 are now among Apple’s cheapest iPhone options, starting at $429 and $599 respectively. Apple released the iPhone 12 at the end of 2020, and has dropped its price since then to make it more affordable as new iPhone models are released. On the other hand, the third generation iPhone SE launches in early 2022, refreshing the most affordable option iPhone in the list.
With only $170 between them, should you get the new, smaller, entry-level iPhone or the larger, larger, standard model that has come down in price over the years? Our guide helps answer the question of how to decide which of these two iPhones is best for you.
iPhone SE (third model)
- Small in size, it weighs 144 grams
- Front and back glass
- 4.7-inch Retina HD LCD display
- 625 nits max brightness (typical)
- 1400:1 contrast ratio (normal)
- Home button with Touch ID
- A15 Bionic chip
- Single rear camera (ƒ/1.8 Large)
- Photo Style
- Smart HDR 4 for photos
- 7MP FaceTime HD front camera with 1080p HD video recording and Smart HDR 4
- Battery life with video playback up to 15 hours
- Rated IP67 water resistant to a depth of one meter for up to 30 minutes
- Midnight, Starlight, and PRODUCT(RED) color options.
- A very large size, it weighs 164 grams
- Ceramic shield front and back glass
- 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED display
- 625 nits max brightness (normal) and 1,200 nits maximum brightness (HDR)
- 2,000,000:1 difference ratio (normal)
- Face ID
- A14 Bionic chip
- Dual rear cameras with 2x optical zoom range (ƒ/1.6 Wide and ƒ/2.4 Ultra Wide)
- Night scene
- Smart HDR 3 for photos
- HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 30 fps
- Zoom audio
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with 4K video recording, Smart HDR 3, slo-mo video support, Animoji, and Memoji
- Battery life with video playback up to 17 hours
- Rated IP68 water resistant to a depth of six meters for up to 30 minutes
- U1 Ultra Wideband chip for space awareness
- It supports Dolby Atmos audio playback
- Compatible with MagSafe cases, wallets, wireless chargers, and more
- Color options are Purple, Blue, Green, Black, White, and RED.
Overall, the iPhone SE is a good entry-level iPhone option for just $429. In some respects, the iPhone SE is better than the iPhone 12 since it is a new device, which shows a fast and efficient chip, Image Processing, and Smart HDR 4.
For $170 more, the iPhone 12 offers a more modern design and size, an OLED display, and Face ID, an Ultra Wide camera, Night Mode, better front-facing cameras, MagSafe, and longer battery life. There’s also the benefit of improved water resistance, the U1 chip, and Dolby Atmos sound playback, and even more color options to choose from. All this leads to a significant improvement over the iPhone SE if you value these features and can get an additional $ 170, but it is worth remembering that they are not important for many users.
The biggest drawback to buying an iPhone 12 is its age, with the device featuring an older powerful chip. Some users may even appreciate the smaller and lighter iPhone SE, as well as features like Touch ID. All in all, it comes down to whether you’re worth getting a smaller, newer device, or you can look at this one to get the benefits of a device with Face ID and a larger, OLED display.
If you prefer the feature set of the iPhone 12, then it is still a good choice for $599, but in general most users looking for an affordable iPhone should choose the iPhone SE since it has more front-end reliability and offers comparable A15 chipset like Apple’s. the new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus models.
It should also be noted that the iPhone 13 mini starts at the same price of $ 599 as the iPhone 12 and continues to be from Apple, but it has a smaller display at only 5.4 inches. The iPhone 13 mini is a new device and it starts with double the storage of the iPhone 12 at 128GB, so the iPhone 13 mini will be the best choice for users who are considering the iPhone 12 but don’t mind getting a smaller phone. no show.