Hughie Fury will not be fit to fight Michael Hunter on October 29 due to continuing symptoms of Covid.
A fight that was supposed to be broadcast live Sky SportsFury had already been sidelined since early July due to illness.
In a statement, Fury said his doctors had advised him to rest after more than a year away from boxing.
“I’m a professional boxer who has to fight to pay my bills and make a living,” he said.
“But I’ve been out for over a year now and to my dismay, the doctors have advised me to take full rest at the moment because I’m suffering from prolonged Covid symptoms.
“I feel powerless. I’ve had all kinds of tests and they’ve diagnosed me with chronic Covid symptoms.
“It’s frustrating but there’s nothing I can do if my body doesn’t allow me to train. I’ll take the rest of the year off and train again next year when I’m properly rested.
“I’ve had 29 fights, I’m ready for big fights and my promoter has guaranteed me a big fight when I come back. If it’s Michael Hunter, that’s fine. If it’s someone else, that’s fine too. I I think everybody knows. I’m going to fight anybody, like I’ve done over the years.”
During his career, the 28-year-old has fought heavyweights like Kubrat Pulev, Alexander Povetkin and Joseph Parker.
But this fight with Hunter would be a pivotal moment for him. It was a winner for the WBA belt, held by Daniel Dubois, and the winner will be in a major fight in the heavyweight division.
Instead, Fury must halt his progress while he recovers. This means he will be out for more than a year as he stopped Christian Hammer in five rounds in his last fight in 2021.
But he has decided to return to the ring in 2023.
His father and trainer, Peter, added that Fury was “full of energy” and that he would be “taking a complete break from boxing at the end of the year”.
“Life brings all kinds of obstacles and boxing is no different,” said the coach. “Health is more important than money or trying to make everyone happy.
“Hughey will fight as soon as possible next year and the team behind him will give him a guarantee of a big fight next year.
“If Michael Hunter is available and still wants the fight, that will be Huey’s next fight. If not, Huey will get another serious fight.
“Huey will be back next year and he’s just a fight away from mixing it up with the best heavyweights.”